Balkaneh


As I hang out on the 7th floor of the spanking new apartment block, various thoughts cross my mind. Its a nice balmy late afternoon, the sun shining bright in the western sky and I hear the sales executive in her stilettos giving the young couple a tour of the home. She is explaining the plan of the home the living area, the dining, the well-lit kitchen, the spacious bedrooms and oh yes, the well-appointed toilets. The footsteps are now closer and I overhear the couple saying that they have a green thumb I like that! That talented and pretty architect chose custom designed terracotta tiles to clad my floor and wrapped me up with a wonderful child-safe toughened glass railing through which one could enjoy the views of the garden city.

I like the couple as I hear them I can see their passion for greenery and outdoor spaces. I can see them filling me up with potted plants and brightly painted handmade curios. I can feel the weight of a couple of wicker chairs and a cast iron teapoy to match it. I see a beautiful corner rattan uplighter to light me up during the evenings. Hooks fixed on the underside of the beams around my ceiling can take hanging pots with flowering plants. I can visualise the couple starting their day with tea and the newspaper and then returning
 to me in the evenings to unwind and de-stress as they switch on some light music and gaze out into the sunset. On a weekend, who knows, I might even see them do a slow dance. They seem the romantic type. I do hope the couple buys our flat.

Oh I almost forgot! I am the Balkaneh (as I was originally known in Persian) better known as the ubiquitous Balcony. I like the Persian version, somehow. I do have many siblings the Terrace that is much wider and larger than I am, the Patio from Spain a grounded person in my opinion, Deck who is generally all wrapped up in wood and has become fashionable among these young architects who build for the rich and famous, Verandah the Portuguese brought him to India but I dont see him around much I hear he gradually disappeared into the rural areas after the real estate boom here in the city when people stopped using his services. Then there is Courtyard quintessentially Indian I have stopped seeing him in homes these days you see, the chap likes to hang out in air-conditioned malls and offices quite understandable with the heat these days and I hear he has even changed his name to Atrium.

In whatever form we may come, we represent a human need (almost an atavistic urge) to connect with the outdoors and the nature while remaining in the safe and warm environs of a home. You can decorate us in any way you like you can make us all rustic with terracotta elements, lots of plants and other elements or you could give us a cool minimal look with some contemporary outdoor furniture, with just one plant to complement the look. You could even do us up in the Japanese Zen style with pebbles laid to a pattern and a small gurgling water body. Either ways, we are here to give you, your experience of paradise.

Ah yes, I hear a round of congratulations - the sun is setting and the couple has just paid the advance. I am relieved and happy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Neighbourhood

Washing Green Linen in Public (Published in Smart Environs - Quarterly Musing of McD BERL, July-Sept 2010)

Flooring it the Indian Way